Tuesday, November 27, 2007
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
The Three-Anchor Band
The Three - Anchor Band was established in Kledkaew Bay when the Royal Thai Naval Academy was located at Kledkaew Bay, Satahip, Chonburi . Naval cadets played music in their free time because of the relaxing atmosphere of the sea. The Commandant was interested in music, so he spent money to establish the Three-Anchor Band. When the Royal Thai Naval Academy moved to Paknam, Samutprakhan, the band bought more new musical instruments.
H.M. King Bhumipol was interested in music. He wanted to improve the naval cadets' skills, so he wanted the band to play at his private radio station at Jitrada Palace. The Three-Anchor Band played at this radio station every month. Once the Three-Anchor Band had the honour to meet H.M. King Bhumipol. He came to tune the equalizer and give advice to the band. Her Royal Highness Princess Chulaporn used to invite the Three-Anchor Band to play music together with her on many occasions, where she sang and played the guitar with the band.
Today the Three-Anchor Band is 65 years old. The band has improved its skills and the modern technology of musicians, but the band is still playing for the nation and the Navy.
Now the band consists of 32 members. We practice twice a week. Each year the Three-Anchor Band plays music in many ceremonies like Navy Day dinner [Three-Anchor Party], the Royal Thai Naval Academy-Kasetsart University sports day [Seaman-Farmer Games], overseas training, Cadet Games and H.M. the King's private radio station.
Wednesday, August 29, 2007
The Three-Anchor Band
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
We interviewed Lt. Playporn S., Chief of the Music Section, Naval
1. How was the development of the Three-Anchor Band from the beginning to the present?
- The Three-Anchor Band has new musical instruments and new technology of music that makes the Three-Anchor Band play better.
2. At present the Navy decreased the number of cadets. Is that a problem for the Three-Anchor Band?
- There is not enough time to practice music because Naval Cadets have to do many activities at the same time.
3. Does the Three-Anchor Band have a new song or new trend to play?
- Yes, we do. We have new songs. We write new songs every year. But we still play navy songs too.
4. Does the Three - Anchor Band join competitions?
- Yes, but we need more time to practice and support from the Commander.
5. How can the Three-Anchor Band improve its musical skills?
- The Three-Anchor Band should allow only qualified naval cadets to join the band.
Lt. Playporn, Chief of The Music Section, Naval Cadet Regiment. Personal interview. 15 October 2007.